The Death Valley '49ers Scholarship Program was initiated in 1976. We have awarded forty-seven scholarships through 2016.
The policy of the Scholarship Program is to award one scholarship each year to a graduating senior who has fulfilled these requirements:
- Meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Has been or is a Resident in the Death Valley Unified School District and/or Death Valley National Park for a minimum of two years and/or
- Attended Death Valley Elementary School for a minimum of two years and/or
- Parent(s) are employed by an employer located within the boundaries of Death Valley National Park for a minimum of two years;
- Completes all the required subjects for high school graduation in their Junior and Senior academic years at Death Valley Academy, Beatty High or Pahrump High;
- Submits a Death Valley '49ers Scholarship Application to the Scholarship Committee by the application deadline in the Senior year of high school.
The Scholarship Application should provide information about the applicant's personal history, school and community activities, financial need, high school grades and a letter stating what he or she plans to achieve with a degree from an accredited college, university, trade or technical school.
Scholarships are awarded based on a four-year program and will be renewed each year based on the academic progress of the student. The Scholarship Committee will review academic progress at the end of each semester. If the student's grade point average complies with the committee's requirements, the scholarship award will be granted for the following semester.
For each 12-month academic year, the award is $4,000. The award payments are made at the beginning of each term and mailed to the student's designated address. Scholarship payments will be disbursed based on the student's schedules for each academic year. Normally, the payments are in two checks of $2000 each. One is for the fall term and one is for the spring term. If the student is on a quarter or trimester system, the payments may be modified accordingly.
Please address any questions to the Chairman of the Scholarship Committee:
Virginia E. Stockman, Chairman
Death Valley ‘49ers Scholarship Committee
Students must maintain 24 to 30 required units per academic year toward degree requirements.
Students must maintain the following GPAs (on a 4 point scale) for each academic year.
- Freshman year GPA - 2.0 points or letter grade C
- Sophomore year GPA - 2.5 points or letter grade C+
- Junior & Senior years GPA - 3.0 points or letter grade B
If the student fails to attain the required minimum GPA above, the scholarship will be withheld for the current term. If the student attains the minimum GPA at the end of the term, the scholarship shall continue. If this goal has not been met, the student will be dropped form the Scholarship Program. In the event of an appeal, the Scholarship Committee will take under advisement scholastic results and extenuating circumstances before rendering a decision of reinstatement or termination, which shall be final.
The Scholarship Committee will monitor the student's academic performance with the following information:
The student may elect to receive their award in two payments at the beginning of each semester or in equal payments at the beginning of each term if other than semester terms.
At the beginning of each term, the Scholarship Committee Chairman must receive an official school statement of classes selected at registration.
At the end of each term, the Chairman must receive an official school transcript of the student's grades for each subject.
As a matter of convenience, arrangements should be made with the school so this information will be sent automatically to the Chairman each term.
Failure of the student to comply with this procedure may delay or stop scholarship payments.
The Scholarship Committee's selection of the recipient will be announced after the March meeting each year.
Please address any questions to the Chairman of the Scholarship Committee.
|Download PDF version of the Death Valley '49ers Sholarship General Information & Policies, Academic Requirements.|
|Download PDF version of the Death Valley '49ers Sholarship Application.|